MPU-9250 is a multi-chip module (MCM) consisting of two dies integrated into a single QFN package. One die houses the 3-Axis gyroscope and the 3-Axis accelerometer. The other die houses the AK8963 3-Axis magnetometer from Asahi Kasei Microdevices Corporation. Hence, the MPU-9250 is a 9-axis MotionTracking device that combines a 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis magnetometer and a Digital Motion Processor™ (DMP) all in a small 3x3x1mm package available as a pin-compatible upgrade from the MPU6515. With its dedicated I2C sensor bus, the MPU-9250 directly provides complete 9-axis MotionFusion™ output. The MPU-9250 MotionTracking device, with its 9-axis integration, on-chip MotionFusion™, and runtime calibration firmware, enables manufacturers to eliminate the costly and complex selection, qualification, and system level integration of discrete devices, guaranteeing optimal motion performance for consumers. MPU-9250 is also designed to interface with multiple non-inertial digital sensors, such as pressure sensors, on its auxiliary I2C port.
MPU-9250 features three 16-bit analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) for digitizing the gyroscope outputs, three 16-bit ADCs for digitizing the accelerometer outputs, and three 16-bit ADCs for digitizing the magnetometer outputs. For precision tracking of both fast and slow motions, the parts feature a user-programmable gyroscope full-scale range of ±250, ±500, ±1000, and ±2000°/sec (dps), a user-programmable accelerometer
full-scale range of ±2g, ±4g, ±8g, and ±16g, and a magnetometer full-scale range of ±4800µT.
Other industry-leading features include programmable digital filters, a precision clock with 1% drift from -40°C to 85°C, an embedded temperature sensor, and programmable interrupts. The device features I2C and SPI serial interfaces, a VDD operating range of 2.4V to 3.6V, and a separate digital IO supply, VDDIO from 1.71V to VDD.
Communication with all registers of the device is performed using either I2C at 400kHz or SPI at 1MHz. For applications requiring faster communications, the sensor and interrupt registers may be read using SPI at 20MHz.
By leveraging its patented and volume-proven CMOS-MEMS fabrication platform, which integrates MEMS wafers with companion CMOS electronics through wafer-level bonding, InvenSense has driven the package size down to a footprint and thickness of 3x3x1mm, to provide a very small yet high performance low cost package. The device provides high robustness by supporting 10,000g shock reliability.
- Location based services, points of interest, and dead reckoning
- Handset and portable gaming
- Motion-based game controllers
- 3D remote controls for Internet connected DTVs and set top boxes, 3D mice
- Wearable sensors for health, fitness and sports
The triple-axis MEMS gyroscope in the MPU-9250 includes a wide range of features:
- Digital-output X-, Y-, and Z-Axis angular rate sensors (gyroscopes) with a user-programmable full-scale range of ±250, ±500, ±1000, and ±2000°/sec and integrated 16-bit ADCs
- Digitally-programmable low-pass filter
- Gyroscope operating current: 3.2mA
- Sleep mode current: 8µA
- Factory calibrated sensitivity scale factor
The triple-axis MEMS accelerometer in MPU-9250 includes a wide range of features:
- Digital-output triple-axis accelerometer with a programmable full scale range of ±2g, ±4g, ±8g and ±16g and integrated 16-bit ADCs
- Accelerometer normal operating current: 450µA
- Low power accelerometer mode current: 8.4µA at 0.98Hz, 19.8µA at 31.25Hz
- Sleep mode current: 8µA
- User-programmable interrupts
- Wake-on-motion interrupt for low power operation of applications processor
The triple-axis MEMS magnetometer in MPU-9250 includes a wide range of features:
- 3-axis silicon monolithic Hall-effect magnetic sensor with magnetic concentrator
- Wide dynamic measurement range and high resolution with lower current consumption.
- Output data resolution of 14 bit (0.6µT/LSB)
- Full scale measurement range is ±4800µT
- Magnetometer normal operating current: 280µA at 8Hz repetition rate
- Self-test function with internal magnetic source to confirm magnetic sensor operation on end products
The MPU-9250 includes the following additional features:
- Auxiliary master I2C bus for reading data from external sensors (e.g. pressure sensor)
- 3.5mA operating current when all 9 motion sensing axes and the DMP are enabled
- VDD supply voltage range of 2.4 – 3.6V
- VDDIO reference voltage for auxiliary I2C devices
- Smallest and thinnest QFN package for portable devices: 3x3x1mm
- Minimal cross-axis sensitivity between the accelerometer, gyroscope and magnetometer axes
- 512 byte FIFO buffer enables the applications processor to read the data in bursts
- Digital-output temperature sensor
- User-programmable digital filters for gyroscope, accelerometer, and temp sensor
- 10,000 g shock tolerant
- 400kHz Fast Mode I2C for communicating with all registers
- 1MHz SPI serial interface for communicating with all registers
There are no reviews yet.